The Lotos LTP5000D is an exceptionally cheap 50A 120V/240V plasma cutter. It is a hot favorite amongst DIY, hobbyist metal workers and can even be an affordable solution for light-duty shops, like auto repair.
Before reviewing the Lotos LTP5000D, I wouldn’t have recommended anything cheaper than an entry-level Hobart plasma cutter as being worth buying. Though, at less than half the price of the closest Hobart rival, the Lotos LTP5000D has me blown away. While it may not be quite as durable as mid-priced machines (like Hobart), the Lotos 50A plasma cutter is pretty robust and does an incredible job.
When it comes down to the nitty-gritty, what you’re getting for your money, you won’t find a better plasma cutter for under $500. You’d probably have to pay over $1,000 for anything that comes close to the Lotos in terms of great technology and ability.
LOTOS LTP5000D 50A Plasma cutter ǀ Comprehensive Review
- NON-TOUCH PILOT ARC PLASMA CUTTER: Cuts through rough, painted, and rusty surfaces efficiently, producing minimal slag. Pilot arc technology allows you to cut without touching the tip to the metal. Better cutting quality and longer consumable life.
- OUTPUT & PERFORMANCE: 10-50 A DC output, 1/2” ideal clean cut, and 3/4” maximum severance cut under 220/240V. 10-35A DC output, 1/3″ ideal clean cut, and 2/5″ maximum severance cut under 110/120V.
- Suitable for cutting Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Mild Steel, Copper, Aluminum, etc. Uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut, safe, and at low cost.
- Compatible consumables: Lotos PCS22 or PCS33.
- 30 days refund and a 3-year limited warranty: include 1 Year new Replacement Warranty.
- Compact plasma cutter has a handle for portability and uses non-hazardous compressed air.
- SETUP WITHIN 1 MIN: The pre-installed NPT 1/4” industry type D plug and air filter regulator allows you to quickly connect to your air compressor by using the stand coupler existing on your air compressor.
- DUAL VOLTAGE INPUT: Automatic Dual Voltage / Dual Frequency (110/120 V 220/240 V 50/60Hz): 110V-125V, Single Phase, 50/60Hz @ 40 A input, 215V-250V, Single Phase, 50/60Hz @ 35 A input.
- Recommended Circuit Breaker Size: 50 AMP @ 120V and 40 AMP @ 240V.
The Lotos LTP5000D is a 50A plasma cutter that can connect to a 120V or 240V outlet. Using the latest inverter MOSFET technology, it can compete with any of the best plasma cutters on the market today. Inverter plasma cutters are super-efficient, increasing your cutting capacity and producing a cleaner cut with less slag. I have to say, unequivocally, that the Lotos LTP5000D blew me away for such a cheap product. It does the job of much more expensive machines with perfect ease.
The Lotos LTP5000D is capable of cutting most metals – mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and copper. Thanks to modern inverter technology, this is not at all a heavy machine. At a weight of 20-pounds, with a great carrying handle, the Lotos LTP5000D is as portable as they come. A really convenient plasma cutter for a home shop.
This is most certainly a great plasma cutter for beginners. You can set it up easily in a minute or two, and it’s really easy to use. A standard, quick-couple inlet at the back, means that you can connect up the air compressor without a hassle. The air filter and regulator are fitted to the plasma cutter. It has an air pressure gauge on the front panel and a simple regulator valve. You set the cutting amps using a dial and the output amperage is displayed, with great accuracy, on a digital screen.
In the realm of light-duty plasma cutters, the Lotos LTP5000D is pretty high on the quality scale. The ground clamp is better than I expected, and the torch is great. The torch has a 13-Ft reach and has a heat-protected outer shield for better durability. The ground clamp has a 6-Ft cable. In general, the quality of this product far exceeded my expectations.
Another feature that novice metal workers will greatly appreciate is the non-touch pilot arc. Instead of grounding the tip to the workpiece to initiate the arc, just squeeze the trigger. This makes it much easier to get started and eliminates the chance of a mistake. It also means you cut painted surfaces or metal that is dirty, rusted, or oily. The duty cycle (60% at 50A) may be a little frustrating in an industrial setting, where productivity equals profit. In a home shop, this won’t be a problem. With stopping to check measurements and other stuff, you will seldom experience the machine shutting off to cool down, possibly never.
Using the Lotos LTP5000D is a delight. When connected to 220-240V electric supply, it is rated for up to ¾” maximum severance (½” clean cut). Though, I found that you need to use a hammer to break the pieces apart when cutting ¾” steel. At 110 – 120V, clean cuts can be achieved on steel up to ⅜”.
A small disappointment is that they do not include the 120V adapter. It is fitted with a 240V plug and you have to buy the 120V adapter separately. Since not all home shops have a 240V outlet, this is an essential purchase for many. You also can’t use generic consumables.
Now for the big question: How does the Lotos LTP5000D perform?
This is the bottom line for anyone buying a plasma cutter, no matter how cheap it is. We intend to cut metal, and the machine has to do this satisfactorily. Again, I can say that I was super impressed by how well this machine cuts.
A picture paints a thousand words, and I think the photos above say it all. These images are from cuts made with the Lotos LTP5000D at 220V maximum 50A setting. Up to ½”, the cuts are about perfect – beautifully clean with minimal slag. Once we get the ¾” cut, it will take some work using a grinder to achieve a clean smooth surface. All things considered; this is excellent performance for a 50A plasma cutter. For a machine well under 500 bucks, that’s just incredible.
If you’re expecting a high-end, heavy-duty plasma cutter, the Lotos LTP5000D will almost certainly be a disappointment. Conversely, for a cheap light-duty plasma cutter, this one is off the charts. Lotos have customer care in the US and offer quite a remarkable warranty. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, you can return the product and receive a refund. You also get a 1-year new replacement warranty (which is great), and a 3-year limited warranty. It’s not often that a cheap plasma cutter will receive my endorsement as a good buy. This one does.