No metalwork or mechanic’s shop can function without an angle grinder. If you work with rock and concrete, an angle grinder is also going to be an important part of your power tool repertoire. I’d say we all need one, DIYers and professionals alike. There are plenty of best cordless angle grinder reviews. We’ve cut to the chase, choosing only the top three models in 2021.
This is not a review of the cheapest cordless angle grinders. Far from it. This is about buying the best. It should come as little surprise that models chosen for this review hail from the top power tool bands, especially in the cordless tool arena.
The DeWalt DCG412B 20V MAX 4½” cordless angle grinder is probably the most popular and is a no.1 best-seller on Amazon. As a long-time devotee of DeWalt 20V MAX tools, I’m leaning toward the DCG412B as my top choice. If the DeWalt 20V MAX battery platform is your preferred choice, this grinder will obviously appeal to you.
That’s not to say that the other contenders for the top 3 cordless angle grinders are any less magnificent. Makita 18V LXT tools are synonymous with high-quality, superb durability, and incredible technology. The Makita XAG04Z 18V LXT 4½” cordless angle grinder is a worthy competitor to the DeWalt DCG412B.
The Milwaukee (2783-20) 18V FUEL is, as many would have anticipated, is the most expensive of the three cordless angle grinders chosen for this review. Milwaukee fans are less concerned about price and more inclined to look at the quality and superior performance. I’m sure this little beast will not disappoint on this front.
DeWalt DCG412B 20V MAX 4½” Cordless Angle Grinder
- 8,000 rpm motor provides high power for cutting and grinding applications
- Quick-Change™ Wheel Release allows tool-free wheel removal without the need for a wrench
- Tool-free guard allows for quick and easy guard adjustments/positioning
- 2-finger trigger switch with lock-off button for convenient activation and easier gripping
- 2-position side handle offers greater control, comfort, and versatility
Even though this is not a DeWalt XR tool, the DCG412B has amazing power, especially when you consider that it uses the old, brushed motor. Without the XR branding (and upgraded XR brushless motor), the DeWalt DCG412B is delightfully cheap for a high-quality tool from one of the top brands. It is excellent value for money.
I really like the large comfortable handle and two-finger trigger. The side handle can be mounted to either side which is great for varying working positions. This is easily one of the most comfortable grinders to use and it weighs only 4-pounds.
Being a DeWalt tool, I’m always going to love the DCG412B. DeWalt 20V MAX tools have certainly grown on me over the years. I also greatly admire their customer service and fantastic 3-year warranty, 90-day moneyback guarantee, and 1-year free service plan.
Makita XAG04Z 18V LXT 4½” Cordless Angle Grinder
- Automatic Speed Change™ technology adjusts speed and torque during operation for optimum performance
- Active Feedback-sensing Technology (AFT®) turns the motor off if rotation of the wheel is suddenly forced to stop
- Efficient BL™ Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- Soft start suppresses start-up reaction for smooth start-ups and longer gear life
- Spiral bevel gears for smoother rotations and a more efficient transfer of energy
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT™) is engineered for improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh conditions
- Weighs 5.6 LBS
I’ve always been amazed by Makita technology, especially when it comes to safety and durability. Like all the Makita tools I’ve owned, I’d expect the XAG04Z cordless angle grinder to endure any type of punishment and probably outlast most others.
The list of cool engineering, intended to make this one of the toughest grinders is expansive. Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) is a Makita hallmark and really helps extend tool life. By super-insulating the tool against dust and moisture, the machine can tolerate extremely tough conditions without damage or excessive wear.
The Makita XAG04Z utilizes a brushless motor with electronic controls. This makes it incredibly powerful and super-efficient, providing fantastic battery times. It also adjusts the speed automatically to optimize performance. A great safety feature is the active feedback-sensing technology (AFT). If the wheel suddenly stops, the motor will automatically switch off, preventing a dangerous kickback.
Makita rapid chargers have always been amongst the best. Electronic monitoring prevents any damage to the battery, whilst providing about the best charging times. Extra cooling for the battery and the motor also ensures the best battery time and longevity.
The Makita XAG04Z is undoubtedly an incredible cordless angle grinder. Makita is possibly the best brand for indestructible tools. They really are as tough as nails. This machine is also packed with great technology, improving performance, safety, and efficiency. A testament to Makita durability has to be their fantastic 3-year warranty.
Milwaukee (2783-20) 18V FUEL 14½” Cordless Angle Grinder
- Rapid Stop braking feature stops cutting disks in 0.9 seconds, flap disks in 1.3 seconds and grinding discs in 1.5 seconds
- POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor: Delivers maximum power and up to 10X longer motor life
- REDLINK PLUS™ Intelligence provides optimized performance, electronic clutch, and overload protection using total system communication between tool, battery, and charger
- REDLITHIUM™ XC 5.0 Battery Pack provides superior pack construction, electronics, and performance to deliver 2X more run-time and more work over pack life
- POWER TO GRIND: World’s first cordless braking grinder with corded performance.
- DURABILITY: Same metal housing & gearing system as legendary high performance corded grinders
- 100% tool-free: Make all accessory changes and guard adjustments without a wrench for increased productivity
The majority of power tool buyers may consider Milwaukee to be an elite brand, too expensive. There are those who don’t mind the price. Milwaukee tools are exceptional and are often the first choice for professionals, wanting extreme durability and the best tool performance. The Milwaukee 2783-20 M18 FUEL may be the best 14½” cordless grinder on the market.
The M18 FUEL battery platform, combined with REDLINK electronic technology is the pinnacle of advanced battery engineering. The electronic clutch is truly sublime, as is the battery monitoring system which ensures prolonged battery and tool life.
Milwaukee cordless tools are always at the top of the power rankings and this grinder is no exception. The POWERSTATE brushless motor gives you the grunt for the toughest jobs. It is also extremely efficient, getting the most out of the 18V FUEL battery.
Rapid stop braking is one of the big selling points that Milwaukee use to promote this grinder. It’s something I really like. A disc brake saves a lot of time. It can become really frustrating waiting for the disc to stop before you can safely put the tool down.
Generally, Milwaukee tools are heavier than others. I wasn’t really that surprised to see that the 2783-20 cordless angle grinder weighs 6.1 pounds – noticeably heavier than other two grinders in this review. I guess, the heavy duty motor, gearbox, and clutch will add some weight.
You can’t beat the Milwaukee 5-year warranty for the tool. Even the 3-year battery warranty is possibly the best in the industry. In the end, paying extra for the Milwaukee 14½” cordless angle grinder buys you great peace of mind. You know that you’re getting a top-quality machine, with fantastic technology, and the best warranty.